DOE-ACTS (Department of Energy - Academies Creating Teacher Scientists)
This program is suspended until further notice.
This three-year program supported by the Department of Energy at Berkeley Lab includes an eight-week mentored internship each summer. Participants are placed in a scientific division based upon academic preparation, teaching assignments, experiences and interests.
For more information, see the DOE website.
- Travel/housing supplement
- $800/week stipend
- Instructional materials and professional development resources
Teachers of science, grades 5 to 12, with degrees in a science discipline, mathematics, or engineering, or with an equivalent combination of teaching and academic coursework.
- Applications available: 1-Oct-10
- Selection and Placements begin:
- Applications accepted until: 31-Mar-2011
- Last Day Offers made: 1-Apr-2011
- Program runs:
13 Jun - 5 Aug 2011
- Scientists review applications and select a teacher based on their needs.
- Please note that selection and placements start well ahead of the application deadline.
- Apply early to increase your chances of being selected.
- 40+ hours/week for eight weeks
- Weekly meetings with a master teacher
- Three sequential years of participation
- Communication during the academic year
- Progress reports of professional development and leadership
Conferences, lectures, workshops, field trips
- Present at a poster session or PowerPoint