PST (Pre-Service Teachers)
- This program by the Department of Energy places undergraduate students interested in becoming science and mathematics teachers in paid internships in Science and Engineering. Students work with scientists or engineers on projects related to the Lab's research programs.
- At Berkeley Lab, the PST program is conducted in partnership with the University of California CalTeach program and the California State University Science Teacher and Researcher (STAR) program.
- $425/week Stipend
- $1125 Housing supplement
- Travel supplement when applicable
For more information , see the DOE website.
- Undergraduate students majoring in science or engineering participating in the UC Cal Teach program or the CSU Science Teacher and Researcher (STAR) program
- US citizenship or permanent resident status required
- Participants must have medical insurance during their time at the Lab.
- Applications available: 1-Oct-2010
- Selection and Placements begin:
- Applications accepted until: 31-Jan-2011
- Last Offers made:
- Program runs:
13 Jun - 12 Aug 2011
- Scientists review applications and select a student based on their needs.
- Please note that selection and placements start well ahead of the application deadline. Apply early to increase your chances of being selected.
- Complete the full nine week program (approx. 40 hrs/wk), with no time off from start to finish (excluding weekends and Lab holidays)
- Complete entrance and exit surveys
- Present and submit a Research Poster
- Submit an Abstract of research in the required format
- Complete a Digital Portfolio of teaching reflections and plans
- Attend all scheduled events including lectures, tours and group activities
- Complete all LBNL safety and procedural requirements